I've been meaning to do this for... well... forever and am just now getting around to it. I've also posted this on facebook but understanding that some of you have withstood that temptation while some would like to avoid complete and utter black-hole time wasting capabilities facebook breeds I have posted it here for you cnvenience. Enjoy!
More often than not when asked what I want in a job/career/major, those who ask are left with lots of uncertainty with my mental stability. Thoughts of committing me are often attributed to my answer to these questions. Usually they take a moment and think of something nice to say like, “That’s ambitious!” or “Wow, good for you.” I guess if I didn’t care so much about our government and freedom I’d have the same kind of reaction. Let me explain, I am not insane nor do I like the game of politics, I love democracy and the ability of the individual the founding fathers set up in our government. This is why I care.
Last year I was able to attend 2 caucuses outside of Idaho; one in Sioux City, Iowa and another in Reno, Nevada. There I solidified my love or as it has been called by others: my passion for politics. Sitting in the gymnasium of a high school in Iowa I saw the simplicity of our government. Gathered together were the members of the community. Each candidate was announced and then a member of the community would represent them and tell others why they should vote for them. Then they were separated into precincts where their vote would be cast. To each a small piece of paper was given. Each wrote down their vote. Each vote counted and the winner announced. It took me back to my government class in high school where we watched a re-enactment of our founders creating the constitution. The simplicity in which the voting was embodied by was humbling. The Iowans were there to do their civic duty and cast their vote for the republican nominee.
Just over a month later it happened again; not as easy and manageable as Iowa, but the same sobering presence was again there. Even with the crazy lady who stalked us and tried to rob us of our freedom of religion and thought, it was all worth it. There, in Reno high school, the community stood together. Individuals came together to become one.
Not one in choice of nominee, but one as a community. One as a nation. Creating that unspeakable bond we as Americans share throughout the miles that may distance us and forging a unity that even the chains of political agenda or parties can break. We love that we are free. Free to worship how when or what we may; free to think good or bad about our government and able to speak against those who cover us in a blanket of numbing stereotypical titles that bind us to small minded political correctness.
We as citizens have not only the right, but the responsibility to stand up against those that oppress us and take away our freedoms. When the citizens of this nation stand together, united with one common goal or thought those that represent us are bound to a government that gave them power to do what the people demand. WE the people gave the government the power. I, the individual did not give up my ability to choose what is best for myself or for my family. I, have the potential to make something of myself, however, that potential is within me, and cannot be simply given to me.
This is why I love democracy and capitalism. Everyone has unlimited potential. Regardless of race, sex, or age, we as Americans can “change our stars.” Our nation was founded by individuals who were tired of being oppressed. Those who represent us were once these people. No longer is the case and new individuals are rising. Joe the plumbers voice is being heard all around the country and many like him are standing together and choosing sides. Not ones of Republicans vs. Democrats or Liberal vs. Conservatives, but the only one that matters; freedom vs. oppression.
The power of the individual to affect change good or bad is why America is great. Not because the government is all-powerful, all-knowing embodiment of the savior of the country. In history, our government has never saved us from anything. Citizens have stepped up and made those life altering sacrifices for our country to save their families and posterity.
We the people, for the people, by the people; this is why I love America.
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
A quick understanding of my love of politics...
Posted by Angie Oliverson at 5:34 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Wow, I just learned A LOT about you!! Way to be!!
Post a Comment